Wednesday, April 16, 2008

What In the World Is Web 2.0

For those of you who haven't heard of Web 2.0, here's a little video to explain what it's about.
Crazy, huh? Well, many of us our apart of it. I guess we better get with it or we'll get left in the dust. I find myself in between two generations. I can talk on the phone and text to my heart's content. But, I think that my older generation is more of the phone and face to face and my younger generation is more of the text and IM Myspace personas. But, like I say, I'm in between the two. But, you thought that video was something else. There's also this Web 2.0 concept called "Second Life". It's a virtual reality where you parade around different communities talking to other cyber folks. I thought this Second Life was really far out there, but apparently it's really big. I was surprised to learn that the US Marine Corps and American Cancer Society have Second Life territories. As I write this, I think you just have to check it out for yourself. Second Life even has games you can play. On another note, I think that the custom features that we can create on given spaces such as social networks and blogs really takes issue involvement to a new level. Web 2.0 bring power back to the consumer and as a consumer, I almost feel dual-hatted. I mean, not only am I receiving the information from the masses, but I'm sending info right back out to them. Is Web 2.0 the first pure taste of democracy? My mind can't even comprehend what firsts we'll see with Web 3.0. Stay tuned.

No comments: