Friday, April 11, 2008

Media Advocacy! Be Your Own Advocate

I was looking for something that spoke girl power, so I went to google and typed "Girl Power" in and this is what I came up with.
It was either that or a picture of the Spice girls. Crazy huh? Not really.
I mean, listen to what Dr. Kilbourne has to say.
Everyone has brought up excellent points here. Dr. Kilbourne's video was thought provoking. Like others mentioned, her lecture has made me look at ads more critically than ever. As I type, I'm flipping through a Lucky magazine that's all about shopping, at least they say. But, more than anything, over half of the magazine is filled with ads. This one I just came across says, "You know that feeling when you find the perfect figure. And we're not talking salaries....The Natrelle Breast Enhancement Collection". The ad has this lady who is bare from the waist up. Actually, you can only see her from the waist up and she's covering her breasts and smiling. I mean, it's everything that Dr. Kilbourne was talking about. And, it's obvious that the ads are killing us softly. But to change that, it's going to take a change not in one individual, but collectively, as a society. "Good luck" many may say, but if media advocacy has taught me anything, it's assured me that we have to be our own advocates. This week in class, Dania recommended we check out "Unnatural Causes". I didn't get a chance to watch the show tonight, but I did catch some of the clips from tonight's show online and they hit home the importance of all of this, especially when chronic diseases plague so many specific communities. There is power in the community and the community can create change. "Unnatural Causes" does a great job of media advocacy and I would love to watch more. I would say more, but check out my blog page instead.

No comments: